Sunday, June 1, 2014

Colorado State University: Arrival (Day 1 and 2)

Day 1:


My journey to Colorado State University began at 4:30am.  My mother dropped me off at the airport and a few hours later I would be leaving my home in The Bahamas to fly to Atlanta, onto Minneapolis and then finally Denver, Colorado where I met my awesome Internship Coordinator, Ben.

I was extremely tired, despite having slept for the entirety of the three legs of my flight, I still wanted more sleep.  Ben understood this and invited me to sleep the entire car ride.  This did not happen as Ben and I found too many interesting things to talk about.  I totally forgot that I was sleepy.  My journey had begun and I was excited. 

I generally don't like commutes longer than 30 minutes, but the drive time truly flew by.  Ben talked about the awesome outdoor opportunities in Fort Collins - which I will definitely take advantage of!  We talked about the controversial oil rigs surrounding Colorado and politics in general.  Ben and I both shared background information about our hometowns and activities we enjoyed.  And of course, we talked about the food-service industry!  All this is to say that Ben was extremely accommodating and welcoming.  I'm really not one to get nervous, but I'm sure if I had any bit of nerves about my internship experience at Colorado State University and living in Colorado - Ben had certainly eased my concerns and made me feel welcomed.  I find Ben to be open, frank and very personable.

Due to my poor packing I needed to go to a convenience store to pick up a few items.  I was advised that a Rite-Aid was a 15-minute walk away.  Ready to explore Fort Collins on foot, I headed out for a few personal items - not realizing that this was going to be about a 2.5 mile journey.  I honestly didn't mind since I had nothing else to do. I got to see a lot of the school's campus, which is much bigger than my college's campus.  On the way I talked to a lot of locals and students and each person suggested that I had to visit "Old Town".  By the time I got back to my room it was too dark to travel alone, so I decided to put Old Town on my to-do list for the next day.


Miles and miles of  thick, green trees :D
Day 2:  

After lunch I decided to head out to Old Town.  On my way there I saw a restaurant called Fat Shack, I probably shouldn't have been, but I was excited to try something from the menu.  I ordered a Fat Veggie sandwich (mozzarella sticks, onion rings, zucchini sticks, fries and buffalo ranch sauce).  It was yummy!  I had to resist looking up the nutritional information for this sandwich.  I spent about 3 hours walking around Old Town and even found a Caribbean restaurant!   I will definitely be paying them a visit this weekend. 


Horse statue in Old Town Square


I picked up a few items on sale from a clothing store and was confused when the cashier advised that I would be paying $34.00 and not $27.00.  I had completely forgotten that only in Minnesota was clothing tax exempt.

Ben suggested that I  invest in a bike and he was right.  As much as I love walking, I will never see all of Fort Collins if I walked.  

Orientation begins first thing Monday morning at 7am!  So goodnight until tomorrow.


16 comments:

  1. You obviously didn't waste anytime getting around. Enjoy your internship experience! Wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, mummy, you shouldn't be surprised! Thank you:). You could always visit :D.

      Delete
  2. I'm excited to hear more about your experience. :) share pictures if possible I want to see Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on uploading the pictures at the moment! Thanks Maria :)

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to hear more about your journey. All the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jahmai :) ! I'll definitely keep everyone updated!

      Delete
  4. Ashley I am excited to be apart of this journey with you! Enjoy and do well

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great Ashley! Make sure you take lots of pictures and let us know how the Carribean restaurant turns out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memo, I'll definitely try to take more pictures! And I'll let you know about the food too! :)

      Delete
  6. It's so fun to "tag along" with you on your internship journey. Best of luck with everything and looking forward to catching up with you when you get back to MN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adria, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you, I'm excited about returning in the fall too!

      Delete
  7. Great stuff, I will definitely continue to read. Love dad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ASHLEY I AM SO PRIVILEGED TO BE SHARING YOUR JOURNEY SO PROUD OF YOU I AM ENJOYING EVERYDAY SO DESCRIPTIVE I FEEL AS IF I AM THERE WITH YOU YOUR WRITING IS A SPECIAL TALENT CONGRATULATIONS GRAMMY

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grammy Leonie, I'm glad you're enjoying it, thank you :)!

    ReplyDelete