Sunday, June 15, 2014

From the ground up: Week 2 in Madison



Gordon Dining Hall















Four Lakes Market
A week complete, and I must say I have mixed feelings! Traveling to Madison, settling into the dorm at UW, getting to know new people (and even friends!), and working in the dining program. It has all been a terrific adjustment to say the least, but I finally feel like I am settling into the life of a NACUFS intern, which is another terrific adjustment!


A feel a sense of pride for having made it this far, literally and figuratively, and I know that I still have 7
weeks to push boundaries. However, for as much pride as I feel, I am also getting in touch with my humility. That, I believe is what has guided me through this past week. Humility and gratitude.  So okay, I'm not going to lie, 8-10 hour days in a dish room is not the work I, or Kyle, were expecting when we applied to this program.  There is an initial sense of importance which I think is normal to feel and sort of comes with the being accepted to a national internship package. Pat on the back, kid, you got an internship! Gold star for you! Certainly, none of this is  to say I am some stuck up snob who can't handle a day of hard work. It was more of a system shock. It may also have been the caffeine that kept me going all week...That being said, I understand better now what it means to work up the ladder, and I have learned some valuable lessons from starting at the bottom rung. Lessons that any future professional or manager must at some point in their development have the opportunity to learn.

In my understanding, a manager, or any leader for that matter, must practice humility and modesty. They must also know what it means to walk in the shoes of every individual that they manage. As Joie explained to us on our second day, engaging with others is the quickest way to success for any organization. She believes in this so much, she has devoted herself to getting to know each UW Dining management and administrative team member while providing social and professional opportunities in her engagement plan that I spoke of in my previous post.

Home sweet home. Dishroom at Four Lakes where I worked with Robert
Working in the dish room, and learning the ropes of each food service station is going to prepare me for the greater challenges that lie ahead. I have learned not only how to operate a machine, but how the operation of that machine contributes to a functioning operation as a whole.  I have watched station supervisors think on their feet, and take great pride in their work. I really enjoyed learning from James in cold foods prep. He kept me busy, and helped me to understand that even the simplest of tasks can make all the difference. Double wrapping and labeling pans containing ready-to eat foods, washing hands and changing gloves frequently, cleaning out the freezer (yes, I did that!) , all jobs that may seem overly tedious and troublesome. However,  a change in attitude and perspective reveals that even small efforts can be the difference between a food poisoning incidence, an allergic reaction, or a customer receiving a product of diminished quality. Working with Robert in the dish-room, I learned how developing a system can be the difference between chaos and a job well-done.  There are parallels between the dish room and the management office. Managing what is at hand while also thinking ahead to what is coming through the dish drop window. There will always be challenges ready to flood your system, but creating a plan and understanding the character of those challenges will always meet your needs.



Exploring Madison together!
Outside of the dining units, I have been falling in love with Madison, and I feel incredibly grateful to be surrounded by such beauty every time I walk outside. This weekend was beautiful! Kyle and I enjoyed Friday after work exploring the city nightlife and Saturday afternoon browsing the cute little shops, food spots and boutiques that line State Street. I also spent time exploring the trails leading to the scenic Picnic Point on Lake Monona. 

Madison gets it right.





 In my travels, I came across a sign on my journey that I think nicely connects my reflections of the past week in the dining hall and my respect for the beauty of this city. Madison celebrates nature, its beauty, its healing power, and its power for helping us to understand, appreciate and reflect on the foundations of life. Our busy and demanding lives drive us away from simplicity. Nature helps us return to it, contributing to a whole person. In the same way, dish washing and food prepping may not be glamorous, but it serves a purpose, and contributes to forging a better manager.

A morning walk to Gordon on my first day working in the units. Nothing like a sunrise to calm nerves!

No comments:

Post a Comment