Monday, June 9, 2014

The University of Oklahoma Week 2

The Weekend
Saturday I slept in, which was amazing! Then I was productive for a little bit and did some laundry and finally went to the gym.  We then headed out to Bricktown in Oklahoma City with Jack and walked around there.  We stopped at Bolero and got some lunch and drinks, which was a really nice time to sit outside and hear the live music.  We came back to Norman after that and enjoyed the hot tub for a little bit and then decided to explore the night life at Norman.  We ended up getting dinner at Chimys, which had amazing tacos and margaritas for cheap too! After that, we ventured out to the Garage, which also had great food! On Sunday, we went to La Baguette for brunch, which was delicious, and then we ventured out to the Super Target before spending the rest of the day watching movies and of course, Game of Thrones!

Monday
Today we worked on our projects all day.  We started brainstorming project ideas for our In-Service that we have to complete, and we settled on doing something on the lines of how to manage weight while being a sedentary employee.  We ate at Laughing Tomato again, as usual. Today we both got the veggie chili since it was somewhat cold for an Oklahoma summer day, and I got the Basil Tomato Supreme Flatbread. Yummo.  After lunch, we worked on our lesson plan for the In-Service.  We were starved when we got home so we made a huge pot of spaghetti with fresh cut peppers and ground beef.  We watched frozen and then did our typical gym and hottub routine. 

Tuesday
Today we worked on our projects again all day.  I started working on the pamphlet that we want to incorporate into our employee in-service about managing weight.  I researched a long list of healthy snacks and also apps that can be used to track caloric intake and also physical activity.  All of the apps that I listed had been reviewed and approved by Dietitians.  We ate at the Laughing Tomato again for lunch, and I got a ton of fruit and the Double B, which was really good.  After lunch I kept working on the pamphlet and started researching into some snacks that we could incorporate into our in-service.  I think I decided on making a soy bean recipe that I have made at home before (quick and easy) and also doing fruit kebabs.  We also met with Rayanna Reidy in the afternoon.  She serves kind of as a liaison between the housing and food service departments.  She works a lot with the RA's of OU and working with them on getting food for their events.  It was interesting to hear about other things she does like working with student organizations that have been approved to receive food from the food service department and planning international dinners every semester with the international students.  Her job sounds like a lot of fun, and it seems that she has done a lot to make it her own.  Her degree is in aviation, which is really funny that she ended up in food service.  She went to OU (like almost everyone who works here) and ended up back here.  So far we have met at least 6 employees in the food service department who worked here as students and ended up coming back and moving up in the department.  Most of them majored in nothing having to do with food service, which I find very funny.  After work, we went to Chimy's to take advantage of their $2 queso and chip deal (it's really good) and also I got their chicken street tacos, which were amazing and I would totally recommend them to anyone who comes to Norman.

Wednesday
Today we spent most of our day at the Flying Cow Cafe.  We were working with Rhonda Winkleman, who is the manager of the Flying Cow Cafe.  She was really nice and answered all of our questions.  She is another person who went to OU majoring in something not related to food service and ended up back here. There is such a community at this place.  One of the employees came back in while we were working who had been out for surgery, and they were all talking about how much they loved each other and missed each other.  It is amazing to see that in a work environment.  Lindsey and I did a lot of odd jobs at the Flying Cow today.  We made the hamburger patties, rolled the dough out for the Indian Tacos, worked the Indian Taco line through the lunch rush, and washed dishes.  I have never gotten so messy in my life.  From rolling the dough, I had flour all down my shirt and pants.  Then when I was working the Indian Taco line, the sour cream flipped all over my face when I was helping a customer (which I found totally hilarious).  Then washing dishes, my shirt got soaked all the way through.  I was a mess.  So you may be asking yourself, what the heck is this Indian Taco she keeps talking about?  Well let me tell you, it is delicious.  It is a piece of dough rolled out and fried (yum) and then you pretty much make a taco with your choice of beef or chicken, type of beans, and all the usual taco toppings.  They are famous at the Flying Cow Cafe and they have Indian Taco Wednesdays that everyone comes for.  When we were working the line, we constantly had a huge line of people and couldn't keep up fast enough.  We started the day rolling out around 50 pieces of dough, and had to make more dough during the day because they sold so many!  I had a really fun time working the line and getting to talk to all of the customers.  All of them were super nice!!! Except for some grouchy lady who complained that I gave her too much lettuce (??).  Note to the public, if you don't want a lot of lettuce, say you would like a little bit of lettuce like every other human being that went through the line. There was a teaching convention going on, so I got to talk to a lot of teachers and that was fun!  Oh yeah, and of course Lindsey and I made ourselves an Indian Taco and it was bomb.  I got everything on it of course (gotta try it all).  I was not feeling well all day, so once we got home I pretty much just laid in bed all night and got a good night's rest.

Thursday
Today I woke up to a huge storm!  Walking to work was like walking through a lake.  Lindsey got splashed by a car and got mud all over her white pants. Yikes.  Anyways, today we pretty much continued working on our projects in our office.  We went to the Manager's Meeting with all of the managers from the Food Service Department and get to hear them talk through all of their items of business.  It was interesting to see how different people's jobs relate together, and we also got introduced to a lot more people.  Our power was out at our apartment, which was no fun, but eventually it came back on and we did our typical dinner, gym, relax routine.

Friday
Today we did a lot of work on our project.  I finished the pamphlet and Lindsey finished the PowerPoint. We spent the evening in Oklahoma City with Lindsey's sister and her husband.  They took us out to dinner at the Deep Deuce Grill where we got a jumbo pretzel and I got an awesome turkey burger and fries.  We then went to this new hotel in OKC that has a outdoor lounge on the top floor that we could take pictures of the amazing view.  After that, we went to the WSKY Lounge, which was another cool place!  There are so many different places to eat and go to in the city! I am overwhelmed.
The view from the aLoft hotel!


  


No comments:

Post a Comment