Monday, June 9, 2014

University of North Dakota


Week #3

Dustin, my supervisor, Greg, the executive chef, and I traveled to Bismark for a couple of days this week. We started out by taking a tour of Cloverdale meat factory. We suited up in hard hats, hair nets, smocks, and boots to get us ready. It was amazing to see all the work and care they take in preparing all of their foods. It was fun to see them processing the bacon from pork side to the packages we buy at the store. The equipment was another really fun thing to watch. One of them would slice up the sides into bacon while measuring each individual slice to ensure its quality; and this was done at lightning speed! One thing my mom would have loved when we were growing up was their automatic boot washer we walked through. There would have definitely been a lot less muddy tracks in the house if we would have had that!

The next day was the Food Services of America Food Show. Now this place is a haven for any food connoisseurs. Since UND is on the front lines of foodservice we were already aware of many of the new things at the food show, but there were still a few items that will help us with the menu development that is in progress.  
 

 
Bakery Boy, Hormels, Campbells, Tyson, and Golden Plump were just a couple of our suppliers that I met. While talking with these people I not only learned about their products, but more importantly I learned that good relationships are formed between  suppliers, brokers, and buyers.  I mean everyone called each other by their name, and they didn’t even have to look at nametags!
 

 
 
After the Food Show it was back to Grand Forks. I spent some time looking up delicious recipes for the new allergy-free concept in one of the dining centers. While I love looking up recipes it definitely never ceased to make me hungry! It also reminded me of how blessed I am to not have any food allergies. Although with this new concept in the dining centers those with allergies won’t feel like they are missing out on anything, because I was able to find some pretty amazing recipes!
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment