Monday, June 2, 2014

Colorado State University: Orientation (Day 3)

Since I arrived here in Colorado I had the opportunity to visit a few of the Dining Centers here at CSU but today I got the opportunity to visit the office of Housing and Dining Services for the first time.  I was introduced to Lori who gave me a tour of the campus and assisted me with becoming more familiarized with the area of Fort Collins.  

Lori's original plan was to show me around the city to help me with my bearings (and mainly to locate Walmart) but we soon found ourselves driving around the mountains.  This was so exciting. 

Side note: I got an awesome deal on a used iron for $5.00 from a thrift store for my uniform! I think it did a pretty decent job.

On the other hand, I am doing a really poor job of taking pictures around campus but below are a few awesome ones taken of the mountains surrounding the area.  I will definitely provide more photos in future blogs. Trust me when I say that my cell phone camera does not do the beautiful scenes justice.  My suggestion: visit Fort Collins, Colorado for yourself!! It is beautiful and refreshing despite my ears popping a few times while adjusting to the altitude.  This is definitely a "must visit again" spot.  I can't wait for the opportunity to hit the trails!


Pointing at Arthur's Rock
Reminds me of my Grandfather whose name is also Arthur by the way :)
 

Horsetooth reservoir


Horsetooth reservoir features a rock/landmass that resembles a horse's tooth - hence the name.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get close enough to get a decent picture of the rock.  You can check it out here.  


I've been working for Saint John's University Dining Services for three years (going on four this fall!) and the differences between the two campuses are pretty interesting.  One of the obvious reasons is that CSU is home to about 25,000 compared to SJU's 2,000 (or 4,000 depending on how you look at it).  CSU's dining service works directly with the school's housing program and a few of the cafeterias are actually connected to the dorms.  I'm really looking forward to learning more about the processes and systems here.  

I realized that two things have been pretty consistent since my arrival on Saturday.

If you're lost, look for the mountains - that's the west.  I found this to be pretty funny because I had actually feared that I would have gotten lost yesterday as I explored Old Town.

Bikes are everything.  At least 75% of the persons I've met, asked me if I owned a bike.  I'm thinking that most of the streets here in Fort Collins have bike lanes.  

I'm so excited to participate in my first rotation tomorrow as I will be working with the Computrition program!  Computrition is a foodservice software program used to administer effective menu programs and reduce food waste, among other features.  I've been looking forward to testing this software for a while! 


I am sharing this blog post with many of my friends, family and mentors at CSB/SJU in Minnesota and in Nassau, Bahamas because I really want you all to take this journey with me.  I really appreciate you all taking the time to follow my daily blog.  Thanks for your continued support!

6 comments:

  1. This blog is such a great idea! Have a great time and do well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg its so beautiful!
    I wish I was there with you!
    Its really cool that you get to work with another school system. I look forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, it is awesome! We should make a trip back :D.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos, and great details. I almost feel like I'm there with you, excited to hear more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jahmai, I appreciate it! Thanks for keeping up with me :)

      Delete