Friday, June 6, 2014

Computrition: Day 6

I worked on post-meal counts and creating a produce order for Corbett Dining Hall. I also had the opportunity to reflect on my life after graduation.

I've been getting a lot of questions about my plans for after graduation and this is expected with only one more year left to complete (thank goodness).

In Minnesota, the question was generally, "What will you be doing after graduation?"  I found this quite easy to answer: Working (and hopefully grad school as well).  I understand that there are a lot of other educational opportunities out there and I intend to pursue those but frankly, I need to start generating consistent income.

Recently the question here at CSU has been "What do you want to do?".  This actually required me to do some thinking and reflecting before I answered.  I do still want to work and pursue grad school.  I also want to work with young people and guide them and assist them in achieving their goals.  My Mother has been so supportive of my dreams and I've encountered many wonderful mentors that have helped me to be where I am today.  I have no choice but to "pay it forward".  And I believe that I can do this through education.

I've always assumed that teaching has to be done in the traditional classroom setting.  At CSB I've been training students for two years and through this I have learned a lot about myself.  Education isn't just for those who are being educated or trained.  Teachers can also be the recipient of knowledge through teaching.  Through interaction with others we are all challenged in some way and this promotes personal growth - or at least it should.

All of this is to say that at some point in my working career, I want to pass on my knowledge and experience.

Anyway, I strayed a bit - back to NACUFS.

So after we were done working on the orders, I went into the hall to experiment with the nutrition kiosk.  The kiosk generates nutritional information for menu items from the Computrition database.  It was pretty cool to have that information easily accessible.

Tori and I worked on reports for a while and then I headed to lunch where I had a "Long John" for the first time (generally known as an eclair donut).  It was really, really good.

I went to the gym later with a few friends and met a new dance buddy :D :D.  It was so much fun - we got started on a choreography together.  I love to dance by the way, maybe more than I love chocolate.



Thanks for the welcome CSU!


2 comments:

  1. Ashley,
    Adria forwared your blog on to me. It seems that some Benedictine values - community and hospitality are being found at CSU. I know that you will make the most of a great learning oppurtunity.

    Dave Schoenberg/SJU

    ely,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,

      You're right about that. Thank you, I definitely will.

      Delete