Thursday, June 19, 2014

Food Bank: Day 19

This morning I went with the Green Guards to the Food Bank.  Our first task was to sort donuts, bread, bagels, muffins and other baked goods donated from Panera Bread and Whole Foods.  We went through that pretty quickly and then we were separated into two groups.  One of the groups prepared emergency packages while the rest of the team sorted through non-perishable donations.

Then came the big challenge.  We had to sort 380lbs of Cheerios into 2.5lbs bags that were donated by General Mills.  After the 20th bag I felt as if my arms had gotten a full day's workout.  My arms were burning.  It was pretty cool to see people take charge of specific areas based on what they were more familiar with or better at, even though we were only sorting cereal.

After we were done we headed back to Palmer where I would worked with Lori for the rest of the day completing reports from the conferences.

I had plans to go to the one of the summer concert sessions but it rained and I got stuck inside for a bit.  After the rain cleared I took a walk to get some fresh air.  I passed an Ethiopian restaurant that I have been trying to visit since I arrived in Fort Collins.  I went in, and once again, I was advised that I came too late.  I'm sure this was my third time.  Sophie - the owner of the store felt sorry for me and offered me a sambosa on the house!  The sambosa was pretty good :).  I can't wait to go back to enjoy a full meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment