Saturday, June 21, 2014

University of Nevada - Reno | Week 3

I cannot believe it is already the end of my third week at UNR! Starting to get the feel for the city and all there is to do which is making everything even more fun!! I spent this week at the Downunder Cafe working with Barbra and learning everything there is to know about how to run a residential dining unit. Monday morning we attended a meeting with all of the Res Life staff to confirm numbers for groups that were coming to campus for conferences and such. It takes a lot of coordination between departments, groups, and other staff to make sure that rooms are set up, there is enough space, and that counts are correct for meals. Barbra took me through the budgeting process which is very complicated. Once I got my head wrapped around everything that she was saying it started making sense. Because I am interested in foodservice management but have only taken a couple business classes I am eager to learn more about the inner workings of a business. I learned how to analyze profit and loss (P&L if you know the lingo), how to derive labor hours, and how to determine line items in a budget.

So punny! 

The DC


Tuesday worked on projections, which are based on many things including how many people will be eating a meal, meal rates, labor cost, and data from previous meals. Projections help to give a goal for what you are going to make that week and help to give an amount for billing purposes. In the afternoon there was a product tasting for Hormel which was delicious to say the least! Companies like Hormel will come in and pitch their product to the managers who decide if the product would fit in with what is currently being served and if the price is reasonable. I also got to learn about Webtrition, an online data base through Compass Group that is used to analyze recipes for nutritional data, portion sizes, and more. Recipes are added all the time to the data base from chefs within Compass Group. I learned that it is particularly useful for analyzing recipes for allergens which is becoming more and more important these days.

Wednesday I worked on final billing for groups. I learned how to create a bill and the process of final billing that is coordinated with the Res Life department. I spent most of the day working on my project reviewing menu cycles and coming up with creative and healthy recipes students could create themselves using the selection in the Downunder Cafe. I am having a lot of fun with the project and am really excited to come up with more ideas.

The Quad 


Thursday I helped make contracts for groups that would be coming to stay and eat at the university. It involved knowing how many people would be eating, for how many days, and what rate they would be charged for their meals. In the afternoon I went over to catering to help with an event. I am always impressed by how great everything looks when it comes together. The UNR campus is really beautiful and perfect for outdoor catering events, even though it can get a little bit hot and windy. Thursday after work we all went to a Reno Aces baseball game. We had a box reserved and on top of that we had it catered with delicious food. It was a great time, besides the foul ball that hit Kyle, the catering director, in the chin and sent her to the ER.

The selection for the catering event 

Another awesome flower arrangement


Friday was pretty laid back and I worked with Barbra on some office work and then spent the rest of the afternoon working on my project. Friday night I went to the Reno Rodeo with some people that I met here and had a ton of fun dancing the night away. Next week I am going to the Rodeo again with a couple people from work, I definitely need a pair of cowboy boots as a souvenir! I am having lots of fun and am looking forward to the weeks to come!

The spread at the Aces Game! 


Awesome sunset over the ballpark


No comments:

Post a Comment