Sunday, June 22, 2014

University of Georgia - Week 3

Another week at UGA has flown by! I can't believe in two weeks it will be July! This week was spent all over the Food Service Department!

Monday
We started the week off at the Commissary in Joe Frank Harris Commons. The Commissary is responsible for cooking food for catered events as well as items for different eateries around campus. They have a very organized system in place that allows them to simultaneously cook food for same-day events as well as prepping for events days in advance. I started off in the hot food area prepping for Freshman Orientation. The ribs had been prepped the day before, so we were responsible for putting them into their outside smoker. We also cooked up over 100 hamburger patties. That day I also helped in the bakery and salad/sandwich area.

Tuesday
At Snelling Dining Commons we were instructed to work with two employees in the stockroom, Adam and Calvin. They are Material Handlers and responsible for checking & counting inventory, ordering food & supplies, and organizing products properly in the storage area. We also got to take a spontaneous trip to the Central Warehouse. It was...interesting to say the least. We learned and saw a lot!
Storage room at Snelling.

One of the MANY random things in the storage office. It says "I pity the fool who messes with my fruit!" Hehe.

Central Warehouse

Wednesday
My mom had a catering company for many years before opening up her own restaurant. Compared to University catering services, we typically did small scale events. I was excited to work with catering today and learn their system and get an eye in on how they handle large events (in number and size!). We reported to the Tate Center around 3pm and quickly rode over to the Butts-Mehre building. We would be catering a plated dinner for the football team who was having an etiquette lesson that evening. There was about 25 students along with the catering and commissary staff who set the tables, prepped & plated food and worked the floor that evening. Afterwards, we broke down the tables, stacked goblets and washed some of the dishes. Nikki and I helped take some things back to the Tate Center to wash. It was a long evening and when we left they still weren't done! I certainly left appreciating all the hard work they put into an event. 


It took me a few minutes to realize their event was inside the practice building. I thought the floors were specially designed for dining events. Haha!



Stages of table completion. 

Nikki handling a tray of chocolate goodies! 

All dressed up and ready to roll. 

I thought the UGA chocolate piece was a very detailed addition to the dessert!

After the event in the Tate Center dishwashing room. It was blazing hot in there!

Thursday
Today I opened up with Nichole, who is an Assistant Manager at Snelling. I got to help her complete the weeks payroll and learned about their discplinarian procedures. Afterwards we got ready for the Orientation and summer camp lunch rush. Snelling closes at 2:30 so the day went by pretty quick!

Friday
After meeting Kris at Summit for breakfast, Nikki and I got to portray our supreme acting skills in a short video for the campus Auxiliary departments. Kris had typed out a cute little skit for us to act out. There was a camera crew and a sound mic! It wasn't a Warner-Brothers production, but it was pretty legit if I do say so myself. 

Weekend
This weekend was Athfest! I love all kinds of music, so I was pretty stoked to go to the Downtown Music Festival. Many of our co-workers had spoke it up to be a great time. We had purchased wristbands so we could also go into the inside music shows. It was a lot of fun!




A few random shots I took while downtown this weekend.

This week we'll be finalizing things for the big Freshman Closing Banquet next month and learning more about UGA Food Services. Stay tuned!







No comments:

Post a Comment