Thursday, June 19, 2014

Ram's Horn: Day 18

Once again, I began an early morning shift in cold prep.  After preparing the breakfast trolley's I worked on putting together a composed salad with strawberries and pineapples - it looked pretty yummy! 

I also worked on preparing a few other fruits and vegetables.  This time we used the electric slicer to cut up the cucumbers - my preference by far.  It took no time to complete.  Joe and I then ran the pre-service checks for each station.  Generally, we just went around ensuring that recipes and menus were appropriate, food and staff were prepared and that the area was sanitized and ready for service.

After lunch, I closed out the cash register with Joe which was pretty straight forward.  We ensured that everything was balanced and ready for the next shift.  I then headed over to Palmer to attend the Green Guard meeting.  Green Guard is a dining services staff based group that leads sustainable and efficiency initiatives within Dining Services.  We discussed employee training initiatives and also the progress that the group has made.  Dining Services has increased its diversion of food waste (from landfills) from 40% to 90% and it looks like they are well on their way to 100%.

Later that evening - Ben, Julie and I headed to Denver to attend a punk rock show!  Before the show, we stopped for pizza.  It was pretty good. I almost ate the whole pie :(.  Ben had advised that some of the groups were "hard core".  I was not prepared for what I was about to witness.  The first band that I saw sang about 8 songs.  I believe I only heard (understood) about 5 words throughout the entire performance.  I was also pretty concerned about how painful their necks would feel in the morning - they were doing some serious head banging.  I'm pretty familiar with mainstream punk rock bands (the more subtle ones), but I've never heard anything like this in my life.  I wouldn't say I'm a newly converted fan of rock music but I was really impressed with their energy.  They were singing with so much passion and energy and this seemed to have also energized the crowd.  


During the performance of the second band (Red City Radio), I actually found myself tapping, clapping and even moving along a bit to the music. Both bands were pretty different and the crowd was extremely receptive and enjoying the performances.  I loved the energy, I really felt the performance.  Prior to the performance, Garrett, the main singer advised that prior to the two practices they recently had, they hadn't practiced for about 4 months and they were also performing with a new member - I would not have known.  I honestly enjoyed myself way more than I expected too.  I'm looking forward to checking out more shows in Fort Collins!

Ashley, Garrett Dale of Red City Radio and Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment