Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Storeroom: Day 11

I rode my bike to work this morning and now understand biking alongside traffic much sooner than I expected.  Bikers just stay in their lanes – it’s pretty simple.

My morning began with a review of CSU Procurement with Skyler, the Procurement Manager.  Skyler talked about contracts and the billing aspect of Foodservice which I had not considered previously in great detail.

When I buy a pair of tennis, I first consider comfort and weight (so I am considering the quality).  Then I consider where to purchase in terms of who will give me the best value for my money.  I have personally come to love Nike's Dual Fusion tennis because they work for me.  Whenever they break down or become worn out, I buy the same pair and same size.  My first purchase cost me about $108.  The second pair was approximately $100.  My third pair was approximately $90.  I was pretty devastated when I walked into a store on Sunday and saw the same tennis for $80!  I am certain the price reduction had to do with the fact that there are newer and probably more expensive tennis available.  I am so comfortable with this model I would not risk trying a different version.  So my point is, why would it be any different when purchasing food and equipment needed in foodservice?  Everything counts - time, transportation, quality and the services provided.

Speaking of tennis: The gym was pretty fun today, Chanae and I finally got to do one of my Caribbean Cardio workouts which I haven’t done since April!

Anyway, after my meeting with Skyler I attended a cappuccino sampling!  We sampled about 8 different flavours.  I normally don’t drink cappuccino and I really don’t intend to become addictive.  However my favorite flavour was the Original Mocha.  Of course there was Hot Cocoa and French Vanilla, but we also tried Almond Amaretto, Caramel Macchiato, Salted Caramel, Double Dutch Chocolate and English Toffee.  This was a pretty awesome experience.  After the sampling, I looked over the surveys with Skyler as he began to deliberate which flavour would be best for CSU Dining Halls.

I received some much needed encouragement today.  As mentioned in one of my earlier post, I’m currently deliberating my career path after graduation – as I should be.  I was reminded that at this age, even if I tried to figure out everything, typically, life could have another plan in store.  I think I’ve accepted the fact that I don’t know where I’m going to end up and there isn’t really anything wrong with that.  Actually, I think flexibility and having an open mind about the future is pretty healthy and realistic.


Tomorrow, I’ll be begin food safety and discuss my projects during this internship.  

No comments:

Post a Comment