Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Storeroom: Day 10

My assignment for today was to visit the storeroom to gain an understanding of how food products are received, handled and dispatched to other units around the CSU campus.  I helped Jeb with receiving produce from Freshpoint into the cooler (which was about 33 degrees Fahrenheit).  I also assisted Jeb with checking the weekly inventory.  I thought I would have no problems checking inventory in the freezer after having lived in Minnesota for the past three years.  I was mistaken as I did not last a minute in the freezer, it was about -6 degrees.

I also got to drive with Phil in a 24-foot truck and was shown how to use a forklift.  This was way more difficult than I expected.  I then had a conversation that was definitely a reality check.  It was about food waste, supply and demand.  It was suggested that we are putting an enormous strain on the Earth, its plants and animals in order to feed our people.  However, we are still producing way more food than we need.  Food scarcity is a passion of mine and I now feel compelled to do much more to alleviate this problem.

I finally drove home from work today on my bike!  I was actually pretty nervous and honestly felt that I was about to get run over at least three times.  Thank goodness that everyone else around me knew how to drive. I am sure that I will get the hang of bike riding on the main street by the end of the week.

The book that I am reading, (Effective Speaking) is going really well.  One line that really stood out to me, written by Emerson was, "Fear defeats more people than any one thing in the world".  This is so true.  We all have ideas and dreams that we wish to pursue that could possibly make our lives and the lives of others so much better.  Unfortunately, we allow fear to stagnate us and we question our abilities.

Have a great week everyone :)!.

No comments:

Post a Comment