Sunday, June 8, 2014

Week 1

University of Kansas
Week 1

Welcome to Tonya’s blog!

Thank you for tuning in to enjoy the University of Kansas NACUFS internship 8-week blog brought to you by Tonya Davis.  Let’s start with a brief background. I recently received my bachelor’s degree in dietetics from Marshall University, home of the Thundering Herd, which is located in my hometown of Huntington, WV. 








My fascinating adventure to Lawrence, KS started bright and early Saturday morning at 3am. Only 12hr of driving and 2hrs of napping later did I discover myself arriving to the beautiful city of Lawrence, KS.

 







The fabulous Mary Rondon, who has so pleasantly arranged an exciting fun filled 8wk internship program, warmly welcomed me to the University of Kansas. My first day in Lawrence was spent settling in, getting to know my new partner in crime Alison, and memorizing Tornado procedures. :)


Monday morning kicked off a week over flowing with warm welcomes from Kansas University leadership team. This week provided the opportunity to pick the brains and gain valuable insight to who and what the leadership team is made of.


During this week, I was introduced to very diverse groups of experienced mentors and a wide variety of exciting projects.  Each and every one of my projects is of great interested to me. I couldn’t have asked for more appropriate internship assignments. This summer I’ll be working with David Weakley, manger of Oliver Dining Center, to develop the KU Earth Day celebration for Spring 2015, this event will focus on sustainability and locally grown and processed foods. My new partner Alison and I are working with Travis Fell, Culinary Assistant Manger at Mrs. E’s dinning hall, and Sergio Banos, Assistant Manger of Mrs. E’s, on a special dining event to take place July 23rd in Mrs. E’s dining hall. We are also collaborating with Jim Schilling, Manager of North College Café,  in the creation and design a new vegan station for two dining halls.  I won’t give you too much information quite yet, but you can expect to see much more as each project develops.  Till next week be safe!


Tonya

No comments:

Post a Comment