Monday, June 9, 2014

University of Northern Iowa--Week Two

My first full week of the internship is now complete, and it was a major success! I got to do more hands-on work in the dining centers during my second week that included food prep, inventory, retailing, cashiering, and venue set up. Monday and Tuesday were spent in the Maucker Student Union at the dining location called Prexy’s. Only certain food stations are open during the summer due to fewer customers, so I worked at the few that were open. These included Chats the coffee shop, Wasabi the Mongolian grill, Flares the traditional American grill, Essentials the retail snack and supply store, and the Grab & Go station. I have never used or seen a Mongolian grill before, so it was fun to cook stir fry on that during the busy lunch rush.

Wednesday involved learning about how recipes are costed out before service and also a visit to a food show on campus. The company that supplies most of the food products to the university held a food show on campus for foodservice managers in the area. There were close to 30 booths set up in a large ballroom that were promoting new products and handing out tons of free samples. The show did not look that large when we got there, but once we started walking around, tasting, and talking to the vendors the two hours of the show whipped by. At the end of the show, most of the vendors tried to get rid of any leftover samples because they did not want to take them back to their business, which meant a bagful of take-home treats. I don’t think I will need to buy any snacks for the next six weeks in Cedar Falls!



On Thursday, I spent the day with Chris, the retail manager for the campus food carts and convenience stores. He took me on a walking tour of the campus to look at all of the retail locations that serve grab and go sandwiches and salads, soups, baked goods, packaged snacks, beverages, and other such items. We talked about how the locations are set up and managed, and discussed the latest dining project which is building a tea-focused food cart in the library. I started working on my retail marketing project which will involve laying out a plan for serving specialty sandwiches at the popular deli station in the larger of the two C-stores.

Friday consisted of setting up the Rialto dining center, which is one of the large all-you-care-to-eat dining centers. Summer hours at Rialto begin tomorrow and diners from the summer camps, conferences, and summer residence halls will start coming in for meals. I worked with the full-time managers and student supervisors to get everything in its place so that service can begin swiftly and smoothly on Monday.

Outside of my internship hours this week, I kept busy playing sand volleyball, visiting the college farmers market, and celebrating my birthday on the weekend. The farmers market did not have many fresh vegetables yet because of the weather, but there were lots of plants for sale.

my plants from the market

On my birthday, I got to climb to the top of the campanile and listen to my friend and her duet-partner play the carillon, complete with a personal performance of “Happy Birthday” that rung out for everyone in the area to hear. Only a few students are trained and authorized to play the carillon organ, and one of them just happened to be a cashier that I met during my rotation at the student union during the week. It was a memorable birthday and a great week overall!

the campanile

view of campus from the top of the campanile

No comments:

Post a Comment