Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Montana State University- End of Week 3 and week 4

I just realized I don't think I introduced myself in my first posts.  So now after the third week..  I am Katie Olson!  I am from Northern Minnesota but go to school at the University of North Dakota.  I am studying dietetics.  I will be a senior in the coordinated program!  I have been to Montana once before, my roommates and I came for spring break this year to ski at Big Sky!  Montana is just as great in the summer!  I am thinking that they are going to have to force me to leave at the end of the internship :)

Anyway...

Thursday (6/19/2014): We had a another meeting all morning with Randy from Stalk Market.  At this meeting we were discussing the products that we decided on the day before and making sure we had all the right pieces.  We also discussed the prices of the products compared the prices we are currently paying for similar products.  We talked about a possible bill-back and a few other topics.  We then had lunch with one of the NACUFS interns from last year!  She loved it so much here that she couldn't leave :)  It was fun to talk to her and talk about her experiences at MSU!  In the afternoon we worked on our other projects.

Friday (6/20/2014):  We worked on updating order guides with estimated usages that we will present at our meeting with FSA next week.  We printed off the menus for each dining center and had the dining hall managers go through them and change the usages to what they thought was appropriate.  When they were finished, Carla and I went through and updated these on Filemaker so that we can give FSA a good estimation of how much of each product to have in stock!  Also, we went through the FSA order guides and compared it to the dining centers copies.  We had to mark each item that was missing and add it back in so that the dining center managers are able to order every product when they need it.  We also had a tasting at lunch time where we tried about 5 different meatballs!  It was so much meat!  We also tried some corn queso that catering was testing, it was amazing!  They do a great job! 
Friday evening we left for our camping trip!  Me, Carla and Sam (the other interns), Paul (our boss), Rose (our administrative assistant) and Martin (the executive chef) went to Pine Creek for the weekend!  It was AMAZING.  On Friday night we got our campsite set up.  Carla, Sam and I rented a tent from the Outdoor Rec Center and they forgot to put the steaks in the bag!  So we had to use twigs to try hold our tent down.  It was interesting to say the least.....  But it worked out!  After we got our tents set up, we made burgers over the fire! They were so good.  It seems like food always tastes better over a campfire.  Maybe because it reminds me of Minnesota summers!  :)  After supper we relaxed around the fire and made some smores!

Saturday:  We woke up early and Rose made French press coffee while I helped Martin with breakfast prep and he cooked!  We had scrambled eggs with sausage, onions and red peppers, we also had bacon.  It was a great camping breakfast.  After we got cleaned up, we got our stuff together for a hike.  We made sandwiches and got some other snacks and water together.  We hiked 5 miles up to a BEAUTIFUL lake in the mountains.  The hike was really long and steep, but so worth it!  We had to cross some rapids on logs and rocks.  Martin, Rose and I made it to the lake but the Sam and Carla stopped short of the lake and waited for us down the mountain a ways (Paul went back to the campsite after the first waterfall to hold down the fort). It was such a great day and i don't think I will ever forget it!  Here are some pictures!
 

 
 This was on the bridge at the first waterfall!
 This is me at the top!
From left to right this is Paul, Carla, Sam, me and Martin!
 
After we got back to the campsite (7 hours later), Paul's wife came for the day to make us dinner.  She used Dutch Ovens to make us short ribs, fingerling potatoes and corn bread.  She also brought salmon and veggies that she cooked over the fire.  It was one of the best camping meals I have ever had!  She made a berry cobbler for dessert in the Dutch oven and it was just as good! 
 
On Sunday we had another great breakfast and then cleaned up the campsite and got our tents put away!  We also got a game of cribbage in, I hate to admit it but I did lose. 
 
 
(I am just going to continue into this week because it is already Wednesday- I have been slacking)
 
Monday (6/23/2014):  I worked on the order guides for almost the whole day on Monday... I know it seems tedious but definitely necessary.  I also updated our meeting agenda for the FSA meeting and that's about it for Monday!
 
Tuesday (6/24/2014):  I worked on the order guides again for a lot of the day.  We were having some difficulties with computrition so we had to find some other things to do.  You really realize how much you use something when you can't use it!  But we still got stuff done!  I also added some dining center menus into Filemaker.  After work Sam, Martin and I went to an event at the Museum of the Rockies that was called "Hops and History."  Every month a local brewery comes in and you pay a $5 cover charge and they give you a cup and samples of their micro brews.  They do a presentation about the history of brewing in Montana! It was a really cool event! 
 
Wednesday (6/25/2014):  Today I worked on a National Food Group order.  I went through the items that we currently get from them and figured out what we need to order for this year.  To do this I looked at the usages and our in-stock items and also contacted the managers to ask about what products the students like and what products they would like to have this year.  I also asked how much of each product they usually go through every week.  I took the amount of each item we have in stock and figured out how long it will last us and then figured out how much we need to order to last us the rest of the semester!  We purchase cookie dough pucks from them, so I also had to pick the flavors that I thought would be popular with college students.  After I figured all of these details out I contacted the National Food Group representative for our area and told her what products we will need to order and when we need them delivered.  After that I updated all of our files and let the store room worker know what and when to expect these orders!  This pretty much took me all day!  In the midst of this project, we had lunch with one of the dining center managers who recently attended the NACUFS food service management institute.  She had an awesome experience and it was really cool to hear about!  After work I worked on one of my projects for my class and now Sam and I are going to Shakespear in the park!  They are doing Romeo and Juliet! 
 
 
For now,
 
Katie Olson

No comments:

Post a Comment