Saturday, June 14, 2014

Ram's Horn: Day 14

Today was a full day. I got right into the swing of things as I started my morning at 6:30am with Jason.   Jason gave me an overview of how he begin his operation each morning.

An hour later I joined Tammy at the cash register.  I enjoy customer interaction and I had a great time talking with Tammy.  Most of the customers were high school students and pretty pleasant to talk to.  One of students even engaged in a personal conversation with me and commented that she liked my hair :) .

After my stint with Tammy I joined Steve in the pantry room where I helped him set-up for lunch.  My first task was to slice Oreo cheesecake pies.  This is one of my least favorite tasks despite the fact that I love baking.  I always pass the task of cake cutting onto someone else, even if it is just brownie squares.  Steve started off the first slice and I completed the rest.  Surprisingly, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.  Really, all I had to do was be patient while cutting.  I actually enjoyed slicing the pie - probably because I did a lot better than I expected.

After putting the pies out in the Dining Hall, Steve also wanted me to take out buns and magic bars.  This really wasn't a big deal, however, he also wanted me to label them.  My friends, family and professors have always criticized me for my poor penmanship.  I thought "goodness, if I can manage cutting a cake, I should be able to write legibly."  I think I did an o.k. job.  Either that or nobody read the labels.

As the Dining Hall opened, I was assigned to the Comfort Foods station (pastas, pizzas, meat).  Although I was serving food, I experienced less interaction with the customers possibly due to the Sneeze Guards or the fact that they were rushing off to eat.  I've been a student cook for a year working on the serving lines and it was interesting to see how Ram Horn operated, specifically in reference to food safety.

After serving, I helped Anthony at the Salad Bar.  He had everything down-pack.  I didn't think that there was anything much to the Salad Bar but Anthony proved me wrong.  Anthony gave me an entire spiel about temperatures, sanitizers, a tour of the cold prep and the salad coolers, typical items and why items may change and the many different dressings.  He explained to me why the pre-made salads weren’t dressed until it was taken out to the bar (acids in the dressing can make the vegetables wilt).  We even talked about how HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) was created by NASA to prevent food poisoning for astronauts in outer-space.

Today I realized that I really enjoy learning about my co-workers as much as the foodservice itself.  It is interesting to hear other person's stories about how they found themselves here in Colorado or Ram's Horn specifically.

After work, I headed in to Old Town on my bike and made it to The Caribbean Shack!  I ordered a veggie roti and doubles.  It was good.  However, it was not nearly as pepper as I have had before.  I’ve had doubles from about 3 different restaurants and they all taste different.  I enjoyed my meal and I plan to go back again and try other items on the menu.


Note: My phone is broken, so I have no pictures of the food :( .

No comments:

Post a Comment