Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Montana State University- Day 5

6/3/2014

Day 5 as a NACUFS intern!

Today we had a meeting right away in the morning with some of the food service managers about the samples that we are getting in to test for possible inclusion in the menu for next school year.  It was really cool to learn about the process of getting a new product and replacing old.  After the meeting we got to work on some follow-ups that needed to be done regarding some samples.  I made a spread sheet comparing the difference between the pizza crusts that we are currently using and the pizza crusts that we are thinking about switching to, I also did cost comparisons on out tomato products and  on garden burgers.  I contacted some brokers about some products.  I also did some investigating of prices and compared the brand of salad dressing we are using to the brand that we might switch to and found a large price difference.  Then I contacted the broker and discussed these differences.

During lunch today we got to sample some recipes that chef Martin is testing for possible inclusion in the Food Truck that will be arriving at MSU this summer!  He made chipotle beef sandwiches and beef Verde sandwiches on white barrel bread, he also made jalapeño cheddar bread, guacamole, avocado salsa, Pico de Gallo, and some Asian coleslaw.  It all was very delicious!

After work I got to play golf at Bridger Creek with some of the guys that work for MSU.  It was a really fun round but we got rained on a little bit! I was glad to get out and play, I didn't know anyone in Bozeman that played golf so this was my first time playing since I got here!


Katie Olson

No comments:

Post a Comment