Sunday, June 1, 2014

University of Northern Iowa--Week One


Hello! My name is Kirsten and I am the NACUFS intern at the University of Northern Iowa (UNI) for this summer. I am from a suburb of Milwaukee, Wisconsin  and am a senior dietetics student at the University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point. I will be applying for dietetics internships next semester and will be graduating next May. At school, I am involved with the dietetics club, the campus food pantry, and work as a student bakery manager for the university dining services. It will be interesting to compare contrast the dining systems here at UNI with UW - Stevens Point!

I have been moved in to the campus in Cedar Falls, Iowa for less than a week, but is already starting to feel like home. The campus has lots of green space, beautiful landscaping, and neat outdoor sculptures. Last Tuesday, my family helped me move into my single studio - style apartment in the residence hall closest to my work place, which was thoughtfully assigned by my hall director. I spent the day settling in, exploring campus, and reading through my internship booklet.





On Wednesday, I began my internship! I met with my internship coordinators Lisa and Susan. They spent the day walking me through the internship process and schedule, showing me around campus and the dining centers, and introducing me to the office staff and dining mangers. It was great to meet so many friendly and helpful people in one day! The rest of the work week involved multiple recipe testing sessions (yum!), a tour of Cedar Falls and Waterloo led by Lisa, an informative and fun computer and technological systems rotation, several meetings, and a menu labeling webinar.

In the evenings after work, I have been keeping busy cooking, reading, exploring, playing volleyball, and hanging out with my neighbors who are psychology research interns. I am excited to see what will be in store during my first full week that starts tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment