Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Ram’s Horn: Day 17

My morning started off in Cold Production helping Janelle and Rena prepare the breakfast trolleys for the salad bar.  Once again, because it was freezing cold, I needed to wear my sweatshirt as Rena and I prepared and organized the fruits in the production cooler.  Every so often I had to escape the cold by leaving the cooler to run warm water over my fingers.

Next, we diced about 20 liters of tomatoes.  Our options were to do it by hand or use the electric slicer.  We decided that we would slice the tomatoes by hand.  As Rena and I worked on the tomatoes, Janelle was on the other side of the room slicing a sack of onions.  Within 5 minutes we all had watery eyes from the onions.

Later in the afternoon I worked at the Tex-Mex station where we made quesadillas, tacos, taco bowls and burritos.  I've never made a burrito before (at least not a skillfully folded one) so I took the front-line and received orders.  We had a lot of conferences and sports camps going on - therefore a lot of hungry kids.  Some of the kids made a mess and were seemingly clueless about the rules of college dining hall.  I couldn't help but notice a few kids who seemed to have been taught basic manners such as "please" and "thank you".  One of the more interesting conversations was between two little boys who appeared no older than seven years old.

Boy 1: Could I have a beef taco?

Boy 2: You forgot your "please".

You could see the embarrassment on the first child's face when he realized that he had forgotten his manners.  He apologized and asked again and he didn't forget to say "please".  It was refreshing to know that kids are still being taught manners.  Most persons may overlook the exchange between the boys however it gave me hope that there is still hope for our young people. 

Later in the afternoon  I had to make one of the burritos while my partner was completing other tasks.  Luckily, a trainer was walking in the area and I asked her to show me how to properly roll the burrito.  I was soon to be tested as a customer came in and asked for a burrito.  It was only a burrito, but I was nervous.  I don't like to receive food that does not have good presentation and looks sloppy (nobody does for that matter).  My burrito turned out just fine.  The customer even called me an expert!  I appreciated the comment, but it was pretty funny seeing that I had just learned to roll a burrito only five minutes earlier.

After I got back from the gym, a friend called me asking what time was the Chocolatier in Old Town closing.  I thought "workout-schmokout".  There is always time and space for chocolate.  The store closed at 10pm.  It was almost 9pm and it was about a 30 minute walk.  I really wanted chocolate but as we passed Coldstone (which was just a 5 minute walk from campus) we decided to visit the Chocolatier another time instead of trying to sprint for chocolate.  It was pretty warm that evening so an ice-cream was perfect.  I decided to try the salted caramel shake from Coldstone - it did not disappoint me.

Have a great week everyone!  

No comments:

Post a Comment