Friday, June 27, 2014

Durrell: Day 26

I started off my morning in Palmer, completing the conference meal count reports.  These reports document how many meals are used out of the meal plans that were purchased.  I generally go to Palmer weekly to create the reports after the conference has ended to obtain the final number of meals used.
 
After bringing the reports up to date, I headed over to Durrell to begin working with catering.  Prior to this, I've only had the opportunity to catered one event, which was the SJU Senior Banquet this semester.  It is always nice to experience what goes on outside of the typical collegiate dining hall environment.  At the SJU catering event I helped with set-up, take-down and worked the line as a runner to ensure that containers were always ready for service.  At Durrell's catering event I worked the floor which was a new experience.  I was responsible for making sure that pitchers were full, line staff had the items they needed and clearing tables at the appropriate time.
 
The event was held for retirees and focused on giving them information about the updates and progress of housing and dining services.  I was aware of a lot of the initiatives and accomplishments of CSU but I was pretty amazed at their efforts towards sustainability and student satisfaction.  It was interesting to see how we tailored the event  based on the audience.  It was expected that this particular group would arrive early - which they did.  This really wasn't an issue for us as it just meant a quick set-up.  As I was going around to retrieve the empty plates, I tried to say "Pardon me, excuse me or are you done with this?" but I soon realized this was not effective as most of them could not hear me.  It felt a little weird at first to just reach around people, but I tried to make eye contact to ensure that they knew that I was there to service their table.
 
We began to clean-up, but before we were done I had to walk over to Palmer for a meeting with Christian in Marketing to discuss the progress of the special events that I'm planning for the department.  The meeting went well. Ben and Christian have been extremely helpful with providing guidance which has helped me to make progress with my projects, particularly the ones with themes that seem pretty foreign to me.
 
This was followed by another meeting in Palmer with Brittney, the Registered Dietitian, about the food allergy plan for CSU.  It was brief and straight forward.  I will be working with Brittney's dietetic intern, Lauren, on putting together documentation which advises students, faculty, parents and all concerned of CSU Residential Dining Services' policies on food allergies.
 
As a result of bad timing at the gym, I ended up missing dinner in the Cafeteria so I decided to pick up something on the way to a show at Tap and Handle that we had plan to watch in Old Town.  I only had $5.00 to find something quick to eat.  I figured Big City Burrito should be in my price range, I got there and the veggie burrito was $5.69.  I assumed taxes would bring it up a bit so I gathered about $1.25 in coins to make up the difference.  We got to Tap and Handle but it was actually Open Mic and it did not appear as if anyone had plans of performing.  So we headed back to school to catch some of the Summer Concert Series in the Lagoon.  Within two minutes of arriving at the Lagoon, the band announced "and we always end with this song...".  I couldn't retain my laughter.  Just my luck - we missed two shows in one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment