Saturday, June 28, 2014

Durrell: Day 27

This morning I worked with Catering again.  I usually wear my SJU sweatshirt because I'm normally cold at work - even when I'm not in the cooler.  Today I picked up my Slow Caves pullover instead, probably because it was easy to locate.  When David saw me, he appeared surprised and I wasn't sure why until he asked me if liked Slow Caves.

I am not really a fan - that evening I went to see their show without any idea of who they were.   It was warm when we went out so I was dressed for summer.  About 30 minutes later it got a little chilly.  Luckily at the show they were selling band paraphernalia and believe it or not there was just one sweat shirt left.  Even better, it was my size and it cost only $15.  I think this has been the least expensive sweatshirt I have ever bought.  So, back to David - the drummer of the band is his best friend.  It was pretty interesting what happened after that.  I met David yesterday, and we were even paired together to work the catering event.  We probably spoke about three words to each other.  We had nothing to share, or so we thought.  After we realized that we both had some level of interest in Slow Caves, things changed.  I thought this was pretty interesting because the same thing happened with Philip and I earlier this week when I heard him playing Soca music.
Rachel presented our task for the day and advised that we had 150 sandwiches to prepare.  That didn't seem like a big deal to me - we had a system, David and I made the sandwiches and Rachel wrapped them in the wax paper.  However, Rachel went home because she was not feeling well.  I still didn't feel overwhelmed. David and I worked pretty quickly as we had no other choice - the customers had to get their sandwiches.  Anthony, one of the managers, pitched in and helped us prepare some of the hummus wraps (which looked pretty good - something else I intend to try at home).

We finished up the sandwiches and then helped our co-workers pack cookies, tomatoes and lettuce for the lunch boxes.  We thought we were finally done when one of the catering team members came into the kitchen asking for the rest of the lettuce and tomatoes.  I advised her that the left over items were in the cooler.  There were only about 5 or 6 bags each of lettuce and tomatoes left. We learnt that we needed 40 more.  I started to panick a little.  We were almost done and scheduled to pack the truck for delivery in a few minutes.  David and I both looked at each other in confusion. We filled all of the boxes with lettuce and tomatoes but could not understand what had happened.  Then I remembered. Justin, one of the student managers asked where the extra boxes were and I assumed - maybe we just didn't have enough boxes in general.  Four of us got on it right away and began bagging more lettuce and tomatoes.  We were relieved when we were advised that they no longer needed anymore bags of lettuce and tomatoes.

We packed everything up and got on the delivery truck, dropped off the boxes and headed off to lunch at Ram's Horn.  The ride to drop off the boxes was fine as Chuckie and I were able to make a "seat".  However, heading back was a different story.  Every two seconds I was trying to regain my balance and looking for something to hold onto so that I would not tumble over. It was difficult but fortunately it was a short 5 minute drive.

The rest of the day consisted of meetings, upon meetings, upon meetings.  I sat in briefly on a staff and MS 150 planning meeting.  MS 150 is a large biking event that raises funds for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.  I then met with Steve, one of the managers at Corbett to discuss plans for the Bollywood themed special event.  It went pretty well but neither of us were familiar with the culture of the theme and realized that we would have to do our research and also get others involved to avoid a misinterpretation of the culture.  Steve had already tested out Sandesh, an Indian dessert and offered me some to taste!  It was yummy.  We talked briefly about the issues that he encountered with making the dessert.  He used lemon to make the milk curd but added cream for thickness.  The second time he tried the recipe he used more cream to try to increase the thickness but the fat interfered with the curding process.  Afterwards, I was on my way to Palmer to meet with Lauren briefly about the food policy plan to ensure that we were both on the same page before we began going into detail.

I ended my day at Durrell working on the special event projects.

After the gym, Alex and Hailey wanted to hop on a bus and go on an "adventure".  We didn't do any planning at all.  We went to the transit center and got on the next bus.  We actually met this wonderful woman who heard me playing music off of my phone and came over to talk to us.  It was really amazing, she shared personal stories with us and (with our permission) offered prayers as well.  She offered an interesting perspective on life, family and careers.  Its crazy how some people come into your life at the right time and with a purpose.

After we got off the bus, we realized it was the last one running for the night!  We walked around the plaza and when we were done we tried to call for a ride.  We had no success so we started to walk back to campus which was approximately a 3 mile walk.  It was a beautiful night and the stars were out and shining brightly.  Finally, we caught up with the other interns and Kyle collected us.  Tonight was an interesting evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment