Sunday, June 8, 2014

University of Georgia - Week 1

Oh, how I love the South! Sweet tea, friendly smiles, ladies in dresses and straw hats! My name is Demi Tucker and I am so excited to spend these next eight weeks in the gorgeous city of Athens, Georgia. I am originally from Fayetteville, North Carolina so I only drove a few hours farther south on Tuesday, June 3rd. I attend school at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and am majoring in Nutrition and Dietetics with a minor in Business Administration. I plan on having an amazing career in Food Service Management when I graduate in May 2015. I am so blessed to have this great opportunity with NACUFS and plan on making the absolute most of it!

Tuesday
As I drove into the city I immediately noticed how green and beautiful it is here. Kris Ingmundson (who is incredible by the way!), sent great directions and I arrived without incident at the 'Old' Bolton Commons Dining Hall. Kris and her employee Phillip greeted me with a basket and book bag full of paperwork and goodies. We spent the rest of the day moving in and handling all other business pleasantries.

Goodies! Trying on my 'Red Shirt' with a smile!

The First Supper. Phillip accompanied me at the 'O House for dinner and teased me with his Mac and Cheese. I had cooked to order vegetable and shrimp stir fry. It was delicious!

Wednesday
I woke up early this morning and worked out at Ramsey Center. UGA has a massive fitness complex. I researched it beforehand and was so excited to get my burn on there. Shortly after, Phillip called and said we were waiting on my fellow intern Nikki to arrive! We spent the day helping her move in and get situated.
Some of the healthy food items I've had so far from Snelling and O' House. UGA makes it so easy to eat right! 

Thursday
Alright, here we go! It's Nikki and I's first day of work! We met Kris for breakfast at Snelling and went over a few preliminary things. After, we drove around UGA's campus (have I mentioned their campus is HUGE?!). We did a walk-through of Snelling, O' House, Village Summit, and the Food Services in Tate Student Center. UGA's Food Services is entirely self-operated and employed. This gives them the freedom and creativity to design meal plan and retail operations to their liking. And I must say, they are doing a fantastic job of appealing to students as signing up for the meal plan is completely optional! After our Welcome Lunch, we spent time with Stacia and her budding bundle of joy and learned about student hiring operations. During the school year, they employ about 1,500 part-time students! That requires a detailed and structured system to ensure they are scheduling and filling all needed positions. Stacia's job is basically the liaison between students wanting to work within Food Services and the managers of the dining halls. 

Friday
Ok - it's hot here. North Carolina gets hot, but Georgia is huuuuuuumid! We met Kris for lunch in Snelling at 1:30 and she gave us our instructions for the scavenger hunt. I must say, I'm quite the competitive one and planned on finding everything on the list before we were to meet at O'House at 4:15. Well, that didn't happen - but we had a great time anyway! The campus is so beautiful. There are so many historic buildings and green pastures. They have flower beds everywhere. I don't mind hiking up the hills and melting in the sun because there's just so much to look at. 
Afterwards, we met at O' House and spent the remainder of the day shadowing Tatiana, a Student Supervisor. She's worked with Food Services for four years and taught us everything about her job duties. Tatiana is basically in charge of student employees. She explained to us that she is the communication bridge between students and managers/full time employees. She checks to make sure they come to work on time, are doing their job properly during the shift, and are closing out stations effectively at the end of the day. She also disciplines and we discussed how difficult it can be sometimes to put your peers and friends on an action plan. We also spent time shadowing the hilarious Jairen who is an Assistant Manager at O' House. She showed us how she sends the daily count to Food Services staff and then scurried behind her as she delegated tasks and did on hands work herself. I really liked how she got in there and worked with her employees if something needed to be done. She also made a point to tell people how much she appreciated them as she finished out the day's tasks, which is always great to see from a managerial perspective. 

We found The Arch!

Other locations around campus. The garden behind Snelling is just lovely. 

Saturday
Nikki and I were Athens explorers on this sunny day. We ate breakfast, hit the gym and got ready to head downtown for a bit. After walking around and peeking in on all the cute boutiques and shops, we literally sat down outside for two hours at Ben & Jerrys. We people watched (that's always fun right?), and got to know each other more. I'm learning so much about Michigan and her love for ice cream! I couldn't have asked for a more down to earth and easy going person to spend the summer with. 

Sunday
More Athens exploring today! We had lunch with Kris and company today at The Grit. It's a locally ran vegetarian spot and is so yummy! The people were friendly and the decor was indie and cool. We headed downtown again and we are currently sitting outside of Starbucks being the studious interns we are. :-) Stay tuned for more Athens fun!
The Grit!

Sitting outside of Starbucks. It's a beautiful day!





No comments:

Post a Comment