Sunday, July 20, 2014

University of Nevada - Reno | Weeks 6 & 7


For the past two weeks I have been working in the Retail units. I got to work at Bytes, which is a coffee shop in the Knowledge Center (their library). I learned a lot from Lorena and Jacob who are managers there. Everything from basic operations, like opening and closing, to more in depth things like what they do to manage their food cost. Lorena and Jacob know a lot about how to successfully manage a retail unit because when they took over Bytes it wasn't doing very well. They worked really hard to turn the business around and make it a profitable retail unit. I really enjoy working there making coffee and espresso drinks, talking with customers, and seeing the regulars come in everyday. 

Next week a new retail unit called The Works is going to be opening on campus. Chuck, the Retail Director, and Shawn, the chef, have been working really hard on planning training and getting everything ready for months. I am really grateful to see the amount of detail that goes into opening a new unit. I have been helping with the new employee training and observing everything that Chuck and Shawn have been doing to make their awesome concepts a reality. I think I mentioned before, but The Works will have two station concepts; Waffler and Forklift. Waffler is exactly as it sounds, waffles, but with a twist. They will be serving sweet waffles with tons of toppings and also savory waffle sandwiches. Forklift is a Chipotle style burrito bar. The Works is 'Steampunk' themed and has awesome decoration and employee uniforms (expect more pictures next week!). Check out what steampunk is all about here! The whole idea of The Works is to have people be entertained while they get their food, sort of a Disney Land concept. All of the new hires are very out going and are really into the whole concept, which makes it even better. I am very excited to see how the soft opening goes next week (and to eat some waffles!). 

I cannot believe I have only one week left in Reno. I have really come to love the city and all the awesome things there are to do in Nevada and California! I spent the last weekend in Lake Tahoe with my sister hiking, kayaking, and hanging out at Kings Beach. Lake Tahoe is so beautiful, I have never seen clearer water in my life. This weekend I went horseback riding which was also fun, besides the fact that my horse was super slow. I wish I had more time to do some more exploring, but I guess that just means I'll have to come back and visit again! 
Mt Rose Hike

Delicious Breakfast at the Log Cabin in Kings Beach 

Crystal clear waters at Lake Tahoe 

Me and my horse who clearly didn't wanna be photographed




No comments:

Post a Comment