Saturday, July 5, 2014

Bakeshop: Day 32


 I got to sleep in until 3am today :).  Surprisingly, this was much more difficult than waking up at 1am.  I felt like I was still asleep as I rode my bike across campus.

When I arrived, Jodi was once again very enthusiastic.   I suggested that I make the focaccia bread on my own.  We talked about scaling recipes and how sometimes it can affect the product seeing that I would be making a much smaller serving.  As Jodi advised, the dough was little bit more wet than it should have been so I had to make adjustments to the recipe as I prepared the dough.

While I was waiting for it to "proof", I worked with Amy on frosting cupcakes.  My first try was pretty bad.  Luckily we were able to save the cupcake.  I figured and almost hoped that Amy would complete the rest because the cupcakes had to look appropriate for the customers.  She took out a piece of parchment paper and advised me to practice.  After about 10 tries, I finally got the right "swirl".  I was only able to frost one cup-cake as Jodi called me over to help with cinnamon straws.



Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes - what they should look like.

These were pretty cool. I was obviously new to the twisting technique as  it took me forever to do about 10, while the other bake completed 40!  When they were ready we put them into the cooler to be baked the next day.

After my stint at the bakery, I headed over to Palmer to finish up a few things and that was my day!  I was tired, so I headed off to bed.  I had the best nap of my life after work today.  I think running around with MS 150 and the bakeshop had finally caught up with me.  When I eventually woke up, I realized that I had missed dinner.  I decided to walk into town to Toy's Café for dinner with one of my dorm mates.  I was still pretty tired so I slept in for the rest of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment