Saturday, July 5, 2014

University of Nevada - Reno | Week 5

Since my mom came to visit me, I worked a very short, 3 day week this week. I spent the week in the Campus Dining office with Nick who showed me the ins and outs of accounting. Since I really don't know much about this it was a lot to take in and he was very patient with me. Monday I worked with Annette and learned how to use the My Finance program to check invoices, and enter in ones that haven't been entered. I learned what she does every day to manage all of the money from all the units on campus. A lot goes into tracking all of the transactions that happen at all of the units and making sure that cashiers deposits match up. 

Because it was the end of the month, on Tuesday Nick showed me all of the things that he has to do in order to "close the month." There are a lot of reports to be run and sent to cooperate. He explained a lot about how they keep their budget and how he manages all of the numbers that he has to work with everyday. Though I don't 100% understand everything that he was doing, I think I got a good lesson in accounting and retained the basics. 

I also learned a couple things about HR like how Nick manages staff time clock punches, pay checks, hires, and terminations. Over all the management programs available from Compass Group are pretty comprehensive and useful for managing finance and staffing. 

This weekend my mom and I went to San Francisco. We spent the fourth of july checking out Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, and Sausalito. Today we are doing a day long city tour and tomorrow we will be checking out Muir Woods on our way back to Reno. I really like the city but it is so cold compared to Reno. 

Beer Tasting- Our favorite was Hell or High Watermelon!

Twins

Cloudy skys at Fisherman's Wharf

What's the Fourth of July without ice cream!?



No comments:

Post a Comment