Monday, July 7, 2014

Days 33-36: 4th of July Weekend

Day 32:

I have today and the rest of the weekend off, so I planned to use today to get a few things out of the way.  I've been running low on medication and had planned to get a re-fill, but unfortunately there were a few complications.  I spent most of my day trying to work this out with to avail.  Later that afternoon I helped a guy on campus, Steve, fix his locs.

Once again, I took a well needed nap.  When I woke up, I was really craving something from Mad Green.  I enjoyed my meal at Mad Greens,but I was still pretty hungry.  So, I stopped to Pizza Casbah for chicken tenders which were pretty good.  I liked that I got three different flavors for the chicken dip.  I tried the Garlic Alfredo, Honey Barbeque and Spicy Barbeque. They were all pretty different and I found it hard to choose a favourite so I decided to mix the three flavours together.  It was nice tasting mixture.

Later that evening I headed into Old Town with a dorm mate, hoping to catch one of the Band's from the Ben and Jerry's music series.  Unfortunately, it was the wrong night.  We got milkshakes from Cold Stone, so the evening wasn't completely in vain.
Day 33:


My first Fourth of July in the U.S.!  I spent most of my day with the other Interns.  We walked into Old Town for lunch.  I had passed The Colorado Room last night and noticed that they sold poutine ( a heart stopping Canadian dish that one of my roommates at CSB introduced me to).  I ordered one of those with a slider.  It tasted really good but I had just loaded my body with lots of salt and fat.  To try and counteract this, I got some carrot juice from The Bean Cycle. It was really refreshing!

We then headed back to campus to prepare for the City Park firework show and it started to rain.  We stopped to get out of the rain, and coincidentally, we stopped in front of Kilwin's, a chocolate shop!  There are not many food items on this planet that I love more than chocolate.  I went in and ordered a few pieces and by the time I was done the rain had cleared up.

We headed back to campus where we got some blankets to sit on and then headed out to the park.  We sat there for a while, and even slept for a bit while we waited for the fireworks to begin.


At City Park!

 


After the show ended we headed back to campus and I fell asleep almost immediately.  It had been a full day!

Day 34:


Today was pretty slow.  I had breakfast with some of Durrell's staff.  Shortly after, I headed to the gym where I played some volleyball.  After the gym, I helped another guy fix his locs - this was a task!  I believe he had double the amount of locs than the previous guy.

Later in the evening we headed out to Fuzzy's for burritos and tacos. They were just as good as the last time!

Day 35:

Megan picked me up from my dorm this morning and I immediately noticed Sam, Megan's dog.  I have never really been a dog person, however, I've come to like our two family dog's at home.  Megan must have noticed my slight tension as she asked about any allergies or fear of dogs but she reaffirmed that Sam was pretty well-behaved.

Megan, Sam and I headed off to the Lory State Park to climb up to Arthur's Rock (the one I was pointing to in my first post).

Megan advised that would be a little over three miles, however, we would be climbing about 1,100 feet.  Although I enjoy hiking at home, we hardly ever encounter any elevation.  Three miles didn't sound like a big deal but I had no clue what to expect.  Megan was pretty helpful, with making sure that I took breaks as needed.  And surprisingly, I enjoyed Sam's company - she didn't lick me once :) .




Megan, Sam and I on top of Arthur's Rock

Some of the rocks we climbed!





2 comments:

  1. I knew you'd come around to dogs--so are you Mili and Boxer cool now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those rocks look huge, more power to you.

    ReplyDelete