Saturday, July 5, 2014

Penn State 2014! Blog 9

Seven weeks down and one to go!  For the past two weeks, we have been doing management rotations at both Pollock Dining Commons and Findlay Dining Commons.  So far I've had all morning shifts, meaning I'm at work by either 4:30 or 5:30 in the morning.  Even though I'm not that much of a morning person, I've found that I really enjoy these shifts so that I have the whole afternoon to enjoy! I've also found a new love for black coffee.

Pollock Dining Commons

It's been really interesting shadowing a variety of managers around and seeing their different management styles.  I've found that I can apply a lot of what I've learned in the past weeks to these rotations, especially with the use of FoodPro.  I got to take inventory one day and then enter purchasing amounts into FoodPro based on the menu for that week.  I also had the opportunity to help with a monthly safety report, complete a maintenance request form, and assist in running a crew leader meeting before shift.

All of us interns also participated in a culinary challenge.  It was decided that the winning salad would be featured as the main entree for our final luncheon.  The only rules were that we each had 90 minutes to prepare and plate a salad that incorporated a protein (salmon, tofu, chicken, or steak), a cheese, and a nut.  It was a lot of fun and we all came up with some pretty amazing salads!  Mine was a spring mix salad with chicken, walnuts, dried cranberries, avocado and feta cheese, drizzled with a balsamic vinaigrette dressing.  It was a great experience to try our culinary skills and then get critiqued at the end by a panel of judges!

Jess gathering all of her salad ingredients

Josh preping his chicken

All of our completed salads!

No comments:

Post a Comment