Wednesday, July 30, 2014

A Bittersweet Farewell to UGA

Well, that’s a wrap! Demi and I have successfully completed our internship at UGA! The internship was an amazing opportunity, I learned more than I could of expected, and I cannot thank the people that helped me this summer enough!

Here’s a quick rundown of my last week at UGA.

Monday:
Today was exciting, exhausting, and a relief all at once. The banquet went exceptionally well, minus a few last minute dilemmas. We had previously ordered mini chalkboards for each of the tables to be used with the centerpieces, but they did not come in on time. But, with “The Show Must Go On!” attitude we continued on with decorating and planning. Even without the chalkboards the tables decorates turned out great and the entire facility looked awesome! We spent 12 hours today with the Summit crew, setting up, executing the event, and then putting everything back away. However, I couldn’t of been happier with the results! A Night at The Eiffel Tower seemed to be a hit!

Above: our table decorations, minus the chalkboards :/ 
Above: we used baskets filled with empty wine bottles to set the french atmosphere.



The above three pictures are just three examples of the awesome food Chef Sam prepared! We had cheesecake crepes for dessert, gnocchi as a side dish, and ratatouille as a vegetarian option! 
 This was our crepe stations, we tried to set the atmosphere of a street care with the cobble stone, umbrella and a large chalk board sign! 

Under the Eiffel Tower we served sparkling grape fruit juice which seemed to be a hit! 
Tuesday:
Today we headed over to Summit for an hour or so to finish putting away decorations from Monday night.

After that we went with Kris, to YourPie, a local pizza franchise. We met with the fonder Drew and had lunch discussing the operation. Its always enjoyable talking to business owners and picking their brains, and this was no exception!

Wednesday:
Well, today was our very last day as interns. Bittersweet. I am so excited to be headed home and to see my family, and enjoy a few weeks before school starts back up, but I sure will miss all the friendly and welcoming faces at UGA.

Today we wrapped up the intern life by presenting our training module on cross-contamination, looking over resumes/cover letters, and completing our final evaluation.

I would like to take a minute to thank the entire UGA Food Service team for making this experience great, and guiding me through the summer! A BIG thanks to Kris, for organizing an amazing program! I cant believe how fast this 9 weeks has gone, but who knows maybe I have future in the south ;)

I would also like to thank Demi for being a great partner in crime, I am glad I had the opportunity to work with you this summer! 

Future Interns—
If you have any questions during your application process feel free to email me at snydern2@msu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment