Monday, July 7, 2014

University of Kansas week 5

Monday morning Alison, Mary and myself went on a tour of the Kansas City Sysco facility. It was a great experience to witness first hand how large their facility really is.

After touring Sysco we went to Gates BBQ for our first Kansas City BBQ, I tried the turkey BBQ and it was amazing. 

 Then we finished our day at JCCC visiting and touring the culinary department and college farm. The culinary team just happened to be testing the four-course competition meal and need people to test their wonderful creations. Even though I just finished Gates BBQ, I enjoyed every bite of this meal.







While at JCCC, we toured the college farm, greenhouse and children development garden. They have lots of different projects in the works and many more to come.







Tuesday, I worked at Mrs. E’s in the hot food production.  Even though this is the slower time of year for them, they still produce an impressive amount of food. I can easily understand the importance and need for fluent time management and batch cooking. 




Wednesday, Alison and I joined Nona, Mindy, Robert, Mary, and Jana for a mid internship review/ birthday luncheon for Alison. This luncheon provided a great opportunity to reflect on the passed month and honor Alison’s 21st birthday.



Thursday, started bright and early with a 6am bakery shift at Mrs. E’s. Kathy helped explained the benefits of service line works sheets. I can honestly say I’ve never made so many cookies or pastries in my whole life. This we a enjoyable shift to finish out this short week. 




As soon as I got off work at 4:30pm I hopped in my car and was off for a 7 1/2 hr drive to Minneapolis, MN to visit family for the 4th of July weekend.







No comments:

Post a Comment