Thursday, July 24, 2014

University of Nevada - Reno | Week 8

THE FINAL WEEK!

This week I worked with Chuck, Shawn, and Jacob to help them train new employees and do a soft opening of The Works. It has been really great working with the new employees because they are all very enthusiastic, outgoing, and willing to learn.

Monday I worked with Chris and learned about how he works as the District Manager of this account. We went over how the budget looks and and explained to me how higher ups in Compass Group and Chartwells interpret the numbers that are given to them each month. I learned that it is very easy for corporate to get a a picture of how each business is going just from a spreadsheet. We also talked about contracts, how they are developed, how they are amended, and how they are managed.

Tuesday I worked with Russ to go over how they he works with Chartwells to align the Universities strategic plan with theirs. It is more effective for Chartwells and Compass Group to make decisions that fit with the Universities strategic plan so that everyone agrees upon the same thing. It is interesting to see how Housing works with a Contract Foodservice in comparison to how a Self-Op Foodservice operates. There are many similarities and differences which I was glad to have seen throughout my time here.

Wednesday The Works did a soft opening of Waffler which was really exciting (and delicious)! All the team members did a great job on their first service. They served 24 customers from the Student Services building, in which the Works is located. It was a bit chaotic at first, but customers loved the "Sweet Punks"  and "Sandwich Wafflerz."

Banana Split "Sweet Punk"

S'Mores Waffler

Sean making a Waffle Sandwich

Gabby Making a "Cheesy BrieLT"

Thursday Forklift has a soft opening and there were around 30 customers that were served burritos, rice bowls, and taco salads. Everything went a bit more smoothly as team members started finding their niche within the group. I wish I could stick around a bit longer to eat a couple more waffle sandwiches and burritos! I think the concept is very unique on campus and that students and employees of the university will really enjoy the food.

Customers checking out Forklift

The team eager to make burritos 

My favorite, "Chip Punks!" Get it?! 


That wraps up my time here at the University of Nevada -Reno! I am so grateful for all the experiences, knowledge, and people I have gotten to meet. I did this internship in the first place to see if Foodservice Management would be a good place for me to start after graduation. I have come to understand a lot of business management concepts I had never worked with before. Overall I can see my self continuing to pursue a career in Foodservice Management in a higher education setting. My summer internship with NACUFS was a great experience and I would recommend it to anyone that is looking to further their knowledge of foodservice management.

No comments:

Post a Comment