Sunday, July 20, 2014

Day 46: Palmer

My morning began with Lori also appeared to be ready and dressed for an adventure.  I knew we would be visiting Estes today but I did not realize what I was getting into.  Lori updated me on the game plan for the day.  She had a meeting at 9am and if we were both done with our work by then, we would hit the road.  I've never been so efficient with these reports ever!  I completed them all before Lori was out of her meeting so I used the extra time to work on my special event proposals project.

After I was done I went over to my dorm to dress more comfortably and grab an extra sweater as it was bound to be chilly up in the mountains.

Lori's first question was, "do you get car sick"?  I thought, what am I getting myself into.  I don't have car sickness that badly, however, I don't handle turns and curves too well.  Lori advised that I was in for a treat.



The Stanley Hotel, Estes Park

Among the clouds :)


I wish I remembered the joke.
My official tourist photo at The Continental Divide!
Elk!
2 miles above sea level!

As we were driving to Estes, Lori told me about how last fall's flood impacted the towns within the mountains.  Its scary how something so vital as life preserving as water can also be so destructive.  We visited the Glen Haven General Storeone of the stores that was destroyed by the flood.  Luckily, they were able to rebuild due to gracious donations from their loyal customers.  Lori insisted that I try the cinnamon roll.  She didn't have to insist twist my arm as I am not one to turn down dessert.  It was yummy.  The rolls were very fresh as it was still moist and warm.

As we arrived to the park, we stopped by the Stanley Hotel, which has been listed as one of the United States' most haunted hotels.




After driving around for a bit we finally arrived up in the mountains.  It was a pretty gloomy day but I was thrilled to be up there.  Being in the mountains really helped me to appreciate the awesomeness of life and nature.  We soon made our first stop at a ledge.  It was amazing and very cold.  The clouds were nearby and I had to put on a second sweatshirt.  I couldn't believe that people were walking about in T-Shirts.  They must have been from Minnesota!  I took a few pictures and ran back to Lori's vehicle.
















We then came upon a trail which led to Lake Irene which is pictured below.

Lake Irene





Lori was so determined that I would see wildlife today.  We drove around for a while in search of any type of wildlife.  Eventually my body must have given up because I took a nap, or two.  Finally, we found an Elk!  Shortly after that we came across a moose and another big heard of elk!


After all of the driving we took a break for fresh air and sweets!  Of course, I picked up dark chocolate fudge.  I also tried some of Lori's candy apple.  I've always seen these in airports and at fairs but I never tried it.  I was so glad I tried it today, it was delicious!  It was a full day!  Thanks for the great adventure Lori!

No comments:

Post a Comment