Thursday, May 29, 2014

Penn State 2014! Blog 1: The Arrival


             The day finally came! On May 20th I started my 18 hour trek from Arkansas to Pennsylvania to begin my two month internship with NACUFS at the Pennsylvania State University. Upon arriving I was immediately assured that the trip was worth it. I was barely out of my car when a lady yelled "JOSH?" out of no where from across the parking lot. I had just met my supervisor Maria Kim for the first time. She immediately gave me a warm welcome and showed me where my room was. Inside my room I was treated to even more hospitality with a fridge packed FULL of drinks and a bag of snacks. I could already tell I was going to enjoy my time here.

              The next day I was formally introduced to the other three interns here at Penn; Caitlyn, Brittany, and Jess. Once we finished our brief introductions we headed over to the ABS conference with Maria for the day. At the Auxiliary & Business Services conference we listened to a keynote speaker, ate a delicious lunch, and went to seminars on Workplace Bullying and Technology.

            The keynote speaker turned out to be fantastic, her name was Vernice "Flygirl" Armour. Vernice was the first ever female combat pilot in the marines and now that she has retired form service she travels as a motivational speaker. Trust me, she's got some crazy stories. During her speech we were repeatedly exposed to her motto "One Team. One Goal!" which we shouted while punching the air. It was extremely motivational and put me in a great mood for the rest of the day. We even got some selfies with Vernice.

 The NACUFS Intern crew with Maria and Vernice.
 Vernice and I showing off her signature "One goal. One team." hand explosion.

               After such a welcoming and eventful start I am only looking forward to the rest of my time here. I cannot wait for the rest left to come, I'm sure this internship is going to be an experience I will never forget! I'm already so thankful for everyone here and feel blessed to get this opportunity.

             

No comments:

Post a Comment